I would like to build an in-law suite. What permits do I need?

In-law suites are permitted for immediate family members with the following conditions: 

  1. Immediate family members are limited to parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren, sisters, brothers, aunts, uncles, step parents and step children. 
  2. The owners shall file a written covenant with Montgomery County Recorder of Deeds which prohibits the use of the property as two or more dwelling unit.
  3. The main house is owner occupied.
  4. The in-law suite is totally enclosed within the main house. Additions or alterations to an existing structure require a residential building permit application.
  5. An internal connection shall be maintained between the main house and the in-law suite.
  6. Homeowner shall agree to annually register the in-law suite with the Township by providing that the unit is still occupied by immediate family members and make the property available for Township inspection if requested.

Show All Answers

1. What is the zoning district for my property?
2. Do I need a permit to install a fence?
3. I would like to build a new house on a vacant lot. What permits do I need?
4. I would like to build an in-law suite. What permits do I need?
5. My septic system is failing and I am considering the possibility to connect to public sewer. What is the process?
6. I'm moving and will be renting out my home. Are any permits required?
7. How do I open a business?
8. How do I enroll my land in the Agricultural Security Area?
9. I noticed a property has been posted by the Township. What does it mean?